Innovate UK Launches Strand 2 Emerging and Enabling Technologies Sector Competition
Through this competition, Innovate UK (IUK) is to invest in innovation projects that inspire new products, processes and services which can address challenges in emerging and enabling technologies.
The aim is to help UK businesses broaden their innovation activities, disrupt existing markets and find new revenue sources.
IUK is looking to fund a portfolio of projects, across different technologies, different markets and different technology maturities. These may include feasibility studies, industrial research or experimental development.
Projects must show significant innovation in one of IUK’s four priority areas:
- Emerging technologies (biofilms, energy harvesting, graphene, new imaging technologies).
- Enabling capabilities, including electronics, sensors and photonics (ESP), robotics and autonomous systems (RAS), creative economy and design.
- Space applications.
Up to £9.5 million is allocated for strand 2, emerging and enabling technologies. A project’s total costs should be between £35,000 and £2 million. Projects should last between three months and three years.
To be eligible for funding applicants must:
- be a UK based business, academic, charity, public sector organisation or research and technology organisation (RTO)
- carry out the project work in the UK
- intend to exploit the results from the UK
A business can carry out the project on its own or collaborate with others.
The deadline for applications to be received is 28 March 2018.