Date: Monday 27 November 2017
Location: UEL Stratford Campus – CC.G.05
Athena SWAN has made progress in terms of gender equality over the last ten years but there seems to be a slower response in acknowledging and tackling racism in academia. Improving representation of our students within academia is essential if we want to tackle the attainment gap and encourage more black students to progress into academia.
The most up to date demographics have just been released for UK academics. 9.7% of BME academics are professors, in comparison to 11.1% of white academics. Only 4.7% of black UK academics are professors. In 2015/16, 23.9% of professors were female. Of these female professors, only 0.5% were black.
Join our panel discussion and contribute to what will be a lively debate!
- Dr Marcia Wilson, Head of School, HSB
- Dr Deanne Bell, Senior Lecturer, Psychology
- Dr Julie Botticello, Senior Lecturer, HSB
- Ayaan Cabdi, Student Union Vice President (Welfare)
- Dr Anthony Gunter, Principal Lecturer in Criminology, RDSBL
- Dr Winston Morgan, Reader Toxicology and Clinical Biochemistry, HSB
All welcome! Click here to reserve your space!