Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowship Scheme Now Open
This Fellowship scheme offers a recognised first step into an independent research career for outstanding scientists and engineers, at an early stage of their career, who have a current need for flexible support. It covers all areas of the life and physical sciences, including engineering, but excluding clinical medicine.
Each Fellowship offers Fellows the opportunity to:
- Focus on independent research, freeing time from administrative and teaching duties.
- Hold appointments on a part-time basis or convert from full-time to part-time and back again to help combine work and other commitments, such as caring responsibilities or health-related reasons.
- Claim back time spent deferring the fellowship and/or working part-time.
- Claim limited funds for family support where these can be justified on scientific grounds.
Funding of up to five years is available and covers:
- 80% of the basic salary costs up to £40,030.34 in the first year, estates costs and indirect costs. Under the full economic costing (fEC) model, 80% of these costs will be met by the Society.
- Research expenses up to £13,000 for the first year and up to £11,000 annually thereafter.
The scheme is open to all nationalities. Under-represented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
Persons holding a permanent post in a university, or not-for-profit organisation, will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted by the deadline of 16 November 2017.